Hi! My name’s Emma. I have a BA Honours degree in English Language and Linguistics, an MSc in English Language Teaching, a Cambridge CELTA teaching certificate, and over 13 years of teaching experience. I’ve been able to help millions of students succeed in becoming confident and independent language users and learners.
I’ve worked at some of the top language schools in the world, and have taught students at highly successful companies, such as Nike, Canon, Adidas, Casio, and Rolex, to name a few. My students work in a variety of interesting professions, and range from being lawyers and doctors, to nurses and CEOs. However, regardless of their profession, my students always have the same goals and traits – they’re determined, highly motivated, and have a strong desire to improve themselves and invest in their future. My students refuse to let their English stop them from reaching their goals.
My passion lies in removing the fear which English learners have. I remove the fear of speaking and making mistakes in English, and instead, I replace them with a confident, motivated, and highly independent version of themselves. I motivate students to finally apply for the job of their dreams, I push them to apply for the promotion that they deserve, and I support them when they’re finding their feet and just learning the basics of English.
If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or objects.
- Albert Einstein
Education and Work Background
- MSc Education: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. | Dissertation specialised in the teaching and acquisition of pragmatics in English language learners. | University of Bristol, UK.
- BA Honours English Language and Linguistics. | Dissertation specialised in the teaching of non-standard varieties (accents and dialects) of British English to English language learners. | York St John University, UK.
- Cambridge CELTA Certificate. | British Centre Studies, York, UK.
My Work and Voluntary Experience
- Freelance English Teacher and Online Content Creator. | 6 Years.
- Online and Telephone Business English Teacher. | 2 Years.
- English Teacher. | 4 Months.
- English Teacher. | 3 Months.
- Volunteer English Teacher and Syllabus Creator for Female Turkish Refugees. | 1 Year.
- Unpaid Teaching Assistant in a Catalan secondary school. | 1 Year.
- Volunteer Reading Assistant for Dyslexic Children. | 1 Year.
Hobbies and Interests
I know that quite a few people are curious about what I do in my spare time, so here we go! 🙂
From time to time, I read books about self-help (as running a business is stressful!), personal development, dystopian fiction, and fantasy fiction books.
Some of my favourite series are Black Mirror, 13 Reasons Why, Ru Paul’s Drag Race, Mindhunter (I also watch a lot of series and documentaries about murderers and criminal psychology), Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things, Sex Education, BoJack Horseman, and The End of the F***ing World, just to name a few. I’ve also recently started watching more Anime (to practise my Japanese) and K-Dramas.
When I’m not teaching, I’m probably gaming. I tend to prefer playing strategy games, RPG games, as well as just mindless fun stuff like The Sims. My all time favourite games are Final Fantasy (VII and VIII were the best), The Sims, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Theme Hospital, and Black and White. I could play any one of these for literally hours.
Bouldering and Climbing
In 2021 I started going bouldering with my boyfriend. I’m slowly getting better and overcoming my fear of heights and climbing. 🙂
Every weekend I like to try out a new recipe. I’m also a vegetarian, but probably about 95% plant-based (I do this moral reasons, and have been veggie for about 5 years), so I enjoy trying out new recipes all the time.
Anyone who has ever made anything of importance was disciplined.
- Andrew Hendrixson